Local restaurant catches fire, employee injured

By: Arianna Poland

One person is injured after sustaining burns from a fire that broke out at a local restaurant Tuesday night.

India Palace employee Jatin Patel said the fire began around 10:30 p.m. after the restaurant closed.  He suffered minor burns on his arms and legs while trying to put out the fire.

“I stayed to try to put out the fire, but it was too much,” Patel said, adding, “I’m just glad no one else was hurt.”

There were seven people working when the fire started.

This is not the first fire to break out at the restaurant at 9918 W. 87th St.  In 2007, a grease fire caused minor damage to the the kitchen.  Investigators determined though, that this fire was started by a burning cigarette that was left unattended by one of the employees.  The fire was mostly contained to the kitchen, causing an estimated $6,700 in damage to kitchen equipment, according to a report from the fire department.

“This case is a good example of how much damage a little thing like a cigarette can do,” said Jason Rhodes, public information officer for the Overland Park Fire Department.

The business will be closed for the next week as staff members clean the kitchen and replace damaged equipment.

Advertisements
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s